14 January, 2013

It takes a while to befriend the yarn...

This lounge room throw took a while to become what it is today. It is beautiful and I knitted it for myself. ... but this yarn was playing 'hard to get'... it took three attempts to make it into a throw. 

Every yarn knits its own story.....


This beautiful English yarn is 82% acrylic, 10% wool and 8% viscose, is very soft in the hand and very elastic, making every stitch pattern spread beautifully. I first attempted to knit a throw in a rib stitch... as shown below...


This stitch looked lovely but there was too much of a stretch horizontally and I felt that the throw would lose its shape if left in this pattern. The next step was to attempt making it into an entrelac pattern throw... one of my favorite patterns... 

It did look beautiful... love the shades and the pattern... it had that royal feel to it...
as per below...


... however, still same feeling was present... there was too much of a stretch in this yarn and it just wasn't going to work. I like the throw to have the softness and elasticity but it is important that the pattern looks protected and well shaped. This yarn wasn't going to deliver that.

So... what to do??? Well, I thought if I combined the yarn with the more sturdy yarn maybe the texture would change; it just needed an additional yarn that would secure the pattern and the existing yarn from stretching too much.

I added a very thin yarn that is 100% wool in a darker shade of grey and that did the trick.


I added a continuous crocheted edging to give it more definition and a finishing touch.
Through hours of experimentation, comes a very cozy and snuggly throw.

Cheers!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...